These tacos are my new go-to-dinner on a week night. Using Black Pearl Oyster Mushrooms gives these plant-based tacos a meaty texture that’s oh so satisfying. Top them with my spicy radish slaw made with Sugar Rush Chilis, and a slice of avocado for the perfect upscale taco.
If you are in La Crescenta, California check out the Hungry Gardens for delicious and unusual seasonal vegetables and fresh mushrooms.
Mushroom Tacos Filling
- 10 oz black pear mushrooms or mushrooms of choice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh chili pepper minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Chop mushrooms into bite size pieces. Black pearl mushrooms and other oyster mushrooms shred nicely so you can alternatively scrape the raw stems with a fork to shred them.
- Warm the oil in a skillet over medium high. Add the mushrooms and sautee for 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook another 3 or 4 minutes.
- Serve in a warmed tortilla and top with your favorite taco toppings. I like avocado and spicy radish slaw!
Spicy Radish Slaw
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 10-12 mint leaves thinly sliced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 Sugar Rush hot pepper or chili of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly slice the radishes and place in a bowl of ice water for 30 minutes. This will help to mellow the radishes.
- Drain the radishes and add the remaining ingredients. Toss to combine. Use as a topping on your favorite taco.